MANILA – Bishop Broderick Pabillo, an outspoken critic of President Rodrigo Duterte, announced on Thursday that he tested positive for COVID-19.
In a statement released, Bishop Pabillo said that he is asymptomatic but currently undergoing quarantine measures.
“Although I do not feel anything, I follow the protocol that is set,” he said.
“I am now in a designated area for quarantine observing strict protocol as required,” he added.
Bishop Pabillo, the apostolic administrator of Manila explained his condition is being monitored and currently taking healthy food, vitamins, and doing exercise.
Although he is positive, his staff has been tested negative and the people in contact with him in the last week have been duly informed for necessary safety measures.
“I know this virus will pass, so please do not worry about me, although prayers would be very much appreciated. Since I am in my normal self, thank God, the scheduled online meetings that we have set will continue. Life must go on,” Pabillo said.
Because of his condition, a priest from the Archdiocese of Manila will take his place in the Masses he is scheduled to lead on Sunday, 10AM.
According to the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), he is the first Filipino bishop to contract the coronavirus. Pabillo is temporarily heading the Archdiocese of Manila, the de facto seat of Catholicism in the Philippines.
Bishop Pabillo was supposed to lead a Mass for Justice and Peace at 12:15 pm on Monday, July 27, hours ahead of President Rodrigo Duterte delivery of fifth State of the Nation Address. (By Stanley Buenafe Gajete)