The Department of Trade and Industry – Bureau of Philippine Standards (DTI-BPS) will be hosting the first International Electrotechnical Commission/ Technical Committee (IEC/TC) 64 Electrical Installations and Protection Against Electric Shock – Working Group (WG) 43 Meeting and its related events on 22 to 24 November 2022 at the Taal Vista Hotel, Tagaytay City, Cavite.
The IEC/TC 64 – WG 43 was created in November 2019 with 11 participating members, namely, France, the United Kingdom, Australia, Malaysia, Spain, India, Austria, Finland, Germany, Italy, and the Philippines. The DTI-BPS, as the National Standards Body (NSB) of the Philippines, participates in the said WG 43.
The IEC/TC 64 – WG 43 aims to develop a series of application guides complying with the IEC 60364 for low- voltage electrical installations in order to provide guidance to the National Committees, standards users, and electrical designers in the application of the IEC 60364 to the five indicated systems:
(1) Motor Protection guide, which covers the control and protection of low-voltage asynchronous motors based on general requirements provided in the IEC 60364 series;
(2) Lightning Circuit guide on best practices for designing and installing lightning circuits based on general requirements provided in the IEC 60364 series;
(3) Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS) guide for the implementation for the implementation of protective measures based on general requirements provided in IEC 60364 Parts 1 to 7;
(4) Generators guide for the implementation in rotating generators used either for normal or emergency supply based on general requirements as provided in IEC 60364, Parts 1 to 8; and
(5) Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) guide that applies to Source Changeover Systems used in electrical installations to convert electrical power from one primary supply to another.
Relative thereto, the DTI-BPS has established the Technical Committee on Electrical Installations and Protection against Electric Shock (BPS/TC 77) to mirror the work of the IEC/TC 64. The experts of BPS/TC 77 come from the following sectors: government, consumers/users, trade/industry, professional association, and academia.
An IEC Seminar on Energy Efficiency and the National Electrical Code (NEC) and IEC Wiring Rules will also be held to impart knowledge and ideas to technical experts of the BPS/TC 77 as well as other electrical engineering practitioners on the following areas: the Mexico National Committee’s experience with IEC adoption in a National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA)-based electrical system, discussion on practical IEC adoption in Asia, and energy efficiency standards.
The seminar also aims to help the Philippines’ Institute of Integrated Electrical Engineers (IIEE) members, particularly the Philippine Electrical Code Committee members, have a better understanding of applying IEC standards to NEC-based wiring rules. It will also serve as a platform for technical exchange between local experts from different electrical industries and the energy sector and international experts, particularly on energy efficiency-related practices and standards. The seminar will feature discussions from IEC experts on IEC 60364 Electrical Installation Rules and Energy Efficiency, speakers from countries on their journey in adopting IEC standards from a non-IEC environment, and industry speakers from ASEAN region on their experience with energy efficiency based on actual installations.
For more updates and information on standards, technical regulations, and conformity assessment procedures (STRACAP), please visit the BPS website (www.bps.dti.gov.ph). Emails and messages may also be sent to email@example.com or through the official BPS Facebook page (facebook.com/PHstandards).